Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Holiday traditions in Matrata, Veracruz


Last year I spent the holidays (December 14th – February 5th to be exact) in Maltrata, Veracruz for fieldwork for my thesis. While this meant I spent Christmas away from home for the first time, I was fortunate to stay with a wonderful family who adopted me as one of their own. I enjoyed seeing, learning about and participating in the many holiday traditions in Maltrata. 

So a year later, since I never wrote about it last year, I'd like to share with you some of the holiday traditions in Maltrata including la Rama, Posadas, the Nativity scene, buñuelos, December 24th and 25th, los Viejitos, Huehueres, New Years, and Día de los Reyes Magos (Three Kings Day / Day of the Wise men) 

I'll be breaking it down into separate posts, so stay tuned! (You can click on the links in the list to take you to each entry. I'll try to update as I go.) 

To get started in the holiday spirit, here's a photo of a HUGE poinsettia bush (tree?) in Maltrata. I had no idea they grew this big!!

Poinsettia plant (tree?) in Maltrata

No comments:

Post a Comment