Sunday, June 16, 2013

Lucha libre

As per usual, I'm behind on updating the blog. Let's see if I can catch up a bit before I have a ton of new stories to tell traveling with the choir in Europe!

While Edson's parents were visiting (in April) we spent a Friday night at the Lucha libre at the Arena México. I had been once before (read about it here) in my first few months in Mexico. The first time I went with a fellow group of foreigners / study abroad students who were interested in seeing it for the cultural aspect.

This time I went with someone who had grown up with lucha libre. Edson explained that lucha libre action figures ("santitos") were a staple in his childhood -- and evidently in many others' as well, since when he graduated from college he and his friends made sure to take a photo in the typical action figure position.

lucha libre action figures
source: http://www.mercadolibre.com.mx/

lucha libre action figures
source: http://inolumex.blogspot.mx/

We bought masks before heading into the arena - to get the full effect of course.

 









with Dr. Alfonso Morales, "the" lucha libre commentator

with Dr. Alfonso Morales, "the" lucha libre commentator

(Sidenote: Edson and his "Blue demon" mask made a tv appearance during the Mexico - Italy Confederation Cup game in Rio de Janeiro today!)




No comments:

Post a Comment