Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween!

Here in Mexico there's now quite a mixture of holiday celebrations. Mexico celebrates Día de Muertos (Day of the Dead), also called Todos Santos (All Saints Day). You can read more about Día de Muertos and how it was celebrated during my visit to Maltrata last year here. However, Halloween has also made it's way into the mix. As a small example, last weekend I went out for sushi and we saw this advertisement:


It translates to: "Happy Halloween! This November 1st and 2nd, SushiRoll will give you your calaverita (Halloween treat): with a minimum consumption of $200 pesos (~$15 USD) or with the purchase of a SushiKids meal, we'll treat you to dessert!"

The thing is, it says "Happy Halloween" (celebrated October 31st), but gives the dates of November 1st and 2nd (when Día de Muertos is celebrated). Hm...

I've also seen a ton of costumes for sale! 

costumes at the Coyoacán market
"Trick-or-treating" isn't as common here like it is in the U.S. (though I think it exists to some extent when the kids "piden calaverita"?). Today I saw some kids dressed up in costumes on their way to school and there are some costume parties for adults - but I was still a bit surprised by just how many costumes and Halloween-themed things I've seen for sale considering it isn't the major Holiday.

Tonight Edson and I are going to see Wicked! I'll be dressing up as Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West. Photos to come later! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment