Friday, April 18, 2014

Earthquake

Nothing like an earthquake in the morning to make sure you're really awake!

There was a big earthquake this morning around 9:30.  Mexico's National Seismological Service reported it was a magnitude - 7.0 earthquake centered in Petatlan, Guerrero (on the coast of Guerrero, about 515 km = 320 miles from Mexico City and 201 km = 125 miles from Acapulco).

from Twitter 

The U.S. Geological Survey reported it was a magnitude- 7.5 quake. Either way, it was strong and lasted a really long time: for about a minute (and felt like longer).

My roommate and I are fine though and so far I don't think any damages have been reported.

*Edit - Mexico's National Seismological Service upgraded and the U.S. Geological Survey downgraded the magnitude of the quake, agreeing on 7.2.

*Edit - Though I had seen it reported that it lasted about 30 seconds, other reports said about a minute and some videos/news clips corroborated that it was about a minute. I knew it felt longer!

*Edit - UnoNoticias (News texted to my phone by Telcel) said 48 buildings were damaged and 15 walls fell down in the DF.

No comments:

Post a Comment