Thursday, May 22, 2014

Feria de las Culturas Amigas

La Feria de las Culturas Amigas (the Friend Cultures Fair? I'm not sure how to translate that....) opened in the Zócalo last Saturday, May 17th, and will run through Sunday June 1st.
Source: http://www.cultura.df.gob.mx/culturasamigas/
According to the Fair's website, there are 87 countries participating this year. Each of the participating countries has its own stand, most selling food, drink, artwork, and/or handicrafts (English needs a better word to translate "artesanías"). Throughout the day there are performances on the stage in the Zócalo as well as other nearby locations.


I visited Saturday evening and it was PACKED! I'm glad there's such a great turnout, but it makes it a lot more challenging (and requires much more patience) to browse the various stands.


I was amused that Greece was selling gyros with the description of "Greek tacos." 

Gyro = Greek taco
Gyros are one of my favorite foods, so I had to give it a try. It was... unlike any gyro I've ever eaten or seen before. The bread was completely different (and I say bread because it wasn't pita) and the meat was different and tasted like it had been prepared with lime. It wasn't terrible, but wasn't what I was hoping for.


The Polish and Czech Republic stands reminded me of my summer travels!

Czech Republic and Poland

By the time I visited the U.S. stand they were getting ready to close down for the day. They had a display of American Football (with a Steelers uniform - boo!), what appeared to be information and assistance regarding visas, and food for sale. They only had hotdogs left when I got there, so I'm not sure what else they sold during the day. 


USA

A friend is in charge of the Dominican Republic stand and Edson is working there as well. I tried a quipe, which was tasty, and highly recommend the pastelón de plátano, which I've had on other occasions.

Edson was selling imported Dominican beer and rum, as well as  Mama Juana (Dominican drink made from rum, red wine, and honey that have been left to soak in a bottle with tree bark and herbs) and liquors made with banana (or plantain? not sure) and mandarin orange.

Edson at the Dominican Republic stand

Dominican Republic

I also tried an éclair from France and a piece of chocolate cake from Switzerland. Yum!

Since I visited at the end of the day, I got to see the building surrounding the Zócalo all lit up.

Metropolitan Cathedral and stage


Presidential Palace

If you're local, make sure you check it out! I'll be going back, probably a couple times (and hopefully a weekday when it's not so crowded!).

1 comment:

  1. In fact the best days to visit are Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, on weekend its a mission impossible to reach the stands and you can't see much because there are 50 people trying to enter behind you, and to buy food sometime take like 15 to 20 min in a row, but the other day you can take photos and buy calm and relax, there is a day that the fair opens till 12.00 am, its great you feel like a badass phineas fogg giving the turn around the world in 80 steps :)

    ReplyDelete