Thursday, June 5, 2014

Feria de las Culturas Amigas, Part II

Last Wednesday I went back to the Feria de las Culturas Amigas in the Zócalo (see my first post here). Edson took the day off from working the fair, but spent part of the day there anyway as we visited the other countries' stands. Since it was a weekday during the day I thought it would be pretty empty and we'd be able to breeze through, hitting all the stands. I was surprised to see that, while it didn't compare to weekend crowds, it was still pretty crowded.





We still did a pretty good job of eating our way through though. We tried a (delicious!) pupusa from El Salvador; a fruit juice (mango, pineapple, and something that made it red/orange) from Belize; a dish with meat, corn, potatoes, and avocado from Ecuador (it looked deceptively simple, but was really good); a plantain empanada filled with black beans and cheese from Costa Rica; something similar to a Spring Roll from Malaysia; jamón serrano on fresh bread from Spain; and a chocolate-covered chocolate muffin with strawberries from Belgium.

We also bought a steamed bun with a filling from South Korea and a chocolate bar from Poland for later (we decided we aren't fans of the steamed bun) and I bought a jar of dulce de leche from Argentina to share with my roommates.

Here are a few of our photos from our visit (all photos from Edson's camera):

Paraguay

Argentina

Venezuela

Honduras

Honduras

live music at Ecuador's stand

meat, potatoes, corn (white - on the left), and avocado from Ecuador's stand

food from Ecuador


Pupuseria at El Salvador's stand

our delicious pupusa

pupusa in front of El Salvador's stand


fruit juice from Belice

Colombia

Peru

USA - with mini cupcakes and cookies

Gloria Jean's Coffee from Australia
Made me think of my grandmother (also Gloria Jean) 

"crocodile nuggets" at the Australian stand (not sure if actually crocodile?) 

Japan

India

Malaysia

writing names in Korean at the North Korean stand


South Korea

South Korea - we tried a chocolate steamed bun with chocolate filling, but
weren't big fans 

the steamed buns on the right 

the yellow "tubes" are cones for soft serve ice cream
at the South Korean stand

soft serve ice cream in a tube at the South Korean stand

Thailand

Iran (or Irak? They were next to each other and I don't remember...)


Spain
jamón serrano on fresh bread from Spain

jamón serrano from Spain

Germany


German sausages

Poland

Poland

Poland

excited about dessert from Belgium

dessert from Belgium


Since it was more crowded than I had expected I didn't have time to see the last two sections of stands before I had to head out to an event nearby, though I enjoyed visiting (and eating our way through) what we did see, despite crowds and a bit of rain. 


2 comments:

  1. Hello and greetings from Poland ;) I was just lookking for photos from Feria de las Culturas Amigas and I found myself on your photo (blonde in polish dress ;) ). Can I steal some of your photos and put on my blog??:)
    Karolina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Karolina! Glad you found the photos! Sure, go ahead and use them on your blog, just give credit to "Edson Contreras," who took the photos. :)

    ReplyDelete