Monday, February 16, 2015

Lately

It's been a while. Let's catch up, shall we?

So lately: thesis, thesis, and more thesis. Fun, right? So besides that....

Back in January, I caught up with Xóchitl, one of my first friends at the UNAM. I hadn't seen her since she moved to Spain two years ago! It was a fun night of life updates and lots of laughs with friends.

UNAM friends 

I also celebrated my birthday in January. Edson surprised me with an awesome breakfast when I got back from the gym and that night we went out for dinner and drinks. We planned to go out, just the two of us, that weekend since I wasn't going to plan a big celebration this year. Little did I know...

This was me an hour or so before heading out on Saturday: reading through my draft and not very happy about it.

thesis

We headed out to Mama Rumba, my favorite place to Salsa dance. SURPRISE! Friends were already waiting for me there, ready to celebrate my birthday with cake, roses, mojitos, and dancing! Edson did a fantastic job organizing my surprise party (I had NO idea) and I had so much fun!

Surprise!! 







Also in January, we celebrated Proma's birthday (a lovely new friend!)...

Happy birthday, Proma! 

... and I caught up with a high school classmate I hadn't seen in ten years, who happened to be in Mexico City for the week. I made sure his introduction to the DF included birria, tostadas at the Coyoacán Market, and chapulines.

birria

chapulines
Some of the choir girls (alto power!) celebrated with and said goodbye (for now) to Nira, who successfully finished up her studies at the UNAM and now, as an official doctor, is heading out for her year of service. (Like residency maybe? Not sure, the system is different...) 

Alto love

In February, I watched Adriana perform an Afro-Cuban dance at the Sala Miguel Covarrubias.

Afro-Cuban dance

Edson and I took a long-weekend trip to the state of Veracruz, visiting both the port city Veracruz and Maltrata (a full post on that trip coming soon! *Edit: Part 1 and Part 2).

in Veracruz

in Maltrata with Mamá Juanita

We had a bachelorette party for a friend getting married next month. 




And finally, on Saturday, Edson surprised me with a dozen gorgeous roses for Valentine's Day! He was out of town on Valentine's Day, so it was quite a pleasant surprise delivered to my door! 




No comments:

Post a Comment